The Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs began in 1940 as the Quarterly Journal of Studies on Alcohol. It was founded by Howard W. Haggard, M.D., director of Yale University’s Laboratory of Applied Physiology. Dr. Haggard was a physiologist studying the effects of alcohol on the body, and he started the Journal as a way to publish the increasing amount of research on alcohol use, abuse, and treatment that emerged from Yale and other institutions in the years following the repeal of Prohibition in 1933. In addition to original research, the Journal also published abstracts summarizing other published documents dealing with alcohol. At Yale, Dr. Haggard built a large team of alcohol researchers within the Laboratory of Applied Physiology—including E.M. Jellinek, who became managing editor of the Journal in 1941. In 1943, to bring together the various alcohol research projects conducted by the Laboratory, Dr. Haggard formed the Section of Studies on Alcohol, which also became home to the Journal and its editorial staff. In 1950, the Section was renamed the Center of Alcohol Studies.
Dr. Haggard served as the Journal’s editor from its inception through 1958, and Mark Keller inherited the position the following year. In 1962, the Center and its faculty relocated to Rutgers University in Piscataway, NJ, with the help of funds from the National Institute of Mental Health and philanthropist R. Brinkley Smithers. With the Center came the Quarterly Journal of Studies on Alcohol.
As alcohol research expanded in the 1970s, the Journal grew from a quarterly to monthly publication in 1975, and its name was changed to the Journal of Studies on Alcohol. With this change, the Journal began publishing research articles and abstracts in alternating months. The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism provided most of the funding for the abstracting service, and when the Institute withdrew its funding, the Journal discontinued the abstract issues and proceeded from 1983 as a bi-monthly journal publishing original research.
Timothy Coffee, a faculty member at the Center of Alcohol Studies, succeeded Mark Keller as editor in 1977. In 1984, Jack H. Mendelson, M.D., and Nancy K. Mello, Ph.D., of the Alcohol and Drug Abuse Research Center, Harvard Medical School-McLean Hospital, became the first editors of the Journal not affiliated with the Center. The position of editor shifted back to Rutgers with the appointment of John A. Carpenter, Ph.D., in 1991.
In 1994, Marc A. Schuckit, M.D., of the University of California and Veterans Affairs Medical Center in San Diego took the reins as editor. Under his stewardship, the Journal also began to include, in addition to alcohol research, studies dealing with drugs of abuse other than alcohol. As of July 1, 2015, the editorship has passed to Thomas F. Babor, Ph.D., M.P.H., of the University of Connecticut School of Medicine.
Beginning with the January 2007 issue, the Journal has undergone two additional changes. First, the name changed to the Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs. Second, and, perhaps more important, the Journal has become available online to subscribers for the first time.
The Journal has always been an independent, not-for-profit entity, first published by the Journal of Studies on Alcohol, Inc., (from 1940 to 1982) and then by Alcohol Research Documentation, Inc., a not-for-profit organization affiliated with Rutgers University (from 1983 to the present). The Journal is not subsidized by any outside organization, prints very little advertising, and does not require author page charges. Its operations are funded by sales of subscriptions and by article purchases. The Web site was created and is maintained by Atypon, Inc.
For more, please see:
The Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs and the Rutgers Center of Alcohol Studies: A History of the Evolution of Alcohol Research by Paul M. Candon, Judit H. Ward, and Robert J. Pandina [subscription needed to access article]
This article reviews the history of the Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs as well as the Rutgers Center of Alcohol Studies. Each has its roots in the Yale Laboratory of Applied Physiology and the era shortly after the repeal of National Prohibition in the United States. The journal was founded as the Quarterly Journal of Studies on Alcohol in 1940 by Howard W. Haggard, M.D., director of the Yale Laboratory of Physiology. Alcohol, although not originally the sole focus of the laboratory, eventually became the main and then only focus. A Section of Alcohol Studies and later Center of Alcohol Studies formally became components of the laboratory. The faculty grew to include notable figures such as Elvin Morton Jellinek and Mark Keller, among other influential people who helped establish a modern, multidisciplinary, scientific approach to alcohol problems in the United States. The first alcohol education program, originally called the Summer Session of the School of Alcohol Studies, was also founded there in 1943. The center later moved to Rutgers University in New Jersey, becoming the Rutgers Center of Alcohol Studies in 1962. With it came the summer school and the Quarterly Journal of Studies on Alcohol, which in 1975 became the Journal of Studies on Alcohol. The journal again changed names in 2007, becoming the Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, reflecting an increasing focus among substance use researchers on drugs other than alcohol. This article discusses the influence of the journal and the center in the larger historical context of alcohol studies throughout the 20th century to the modern day.
Center of Alcohol Studies | 607 Allison Road | Piscataway, NJ 08854 | 848-445-2190 | Fax: 732-445-3500
Copyright ©2014-2016, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution.
Copyright © 2017, Information Services
Theme by Zymphonies